6.01.2010

Fare Thee Well, Kelly

Last week, I had to say goodbye to my friend and co-worker, Kelly.  She and her husband are moving closer to Atlanta for his new job.  I was asked to say a few words about Kelly.  Here is what I said.


"It is bittersweet that I come before you today. I was hoping that Kelly and I would attend the July board breakfast to celebrate her fifth anniversary with Flint. Unfortunately for us, Kelly is leaving the co-op to be a stay-at-home mom to 1-year-old Anderson. To say I’m saddened to see her leave is an understatement. When I was searching my heart for what to say about Kelly, the same bible verse kept coming to mind, Proverbs 31. “She is worth far more than rubies.”

Kelly has been my right arm in the PR department for nearly the last five years. I interviewed her on her birthday in 2006. Though she had no co-op experience to speak of, I knew she was the right choice for the job. And man, was I right. Thank God she accepted the job offer.


Continuing the proverb, Kelly “set about her work vigorously.” Her graphic design skills were strong to begin with but continued to grow under each new task. She is the ideal employee of which any supervisor would love to have. One that you can rely on no matter what, one who took direction well but also challenged me to look at things in a different light. She could take my sometimes crazy ideas and Jimmy’s crazy ideas and turn them into show-stopping pieces of art. We’ve worked so well together that we can finish each other’s sentences at times. And we were so in tune with each other that we even had our son’s four months apart. The passion and the love we both share for Flint has shown in the work we’ve produced these few short years together, 23 national awards to be exact, not counting Mr. Ray’s CEO Communicator awards.




Not only is Kelly a great PR person in her own right, but she is also a great person. Proverbs 31 continues, “She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hand to the needy.” Kelly has done that with our Linemen for Little Ones program. Without her benevolence, her hard work and determination, our Linemen for Little Ones program wouldn’t be where it is today. I’ve worked side by side with her shopping…we’ve spent A LOT of money…wrapping and delivering gifts to less fortunate kids so that they can have a Christmas. It’s been an honor to know someone like her.


“A woman who fears the Lord is to be praised.” Kelly works tirelessly not only for Flint but for her church family as well, from keeping the nursery, to being on several committees and singing in the choir. Kelly is not only my direct report, but a co-worker, a teammate, a graphic designer…the best I have ever had the pleasure of working with, a sister in Christ and most of all, I call her…a friend."


I wish Kelly the best of luck as she starts this new chapter in her life.  She so deserves it.  For those of you who may need graphic design services, please call on Kelly.  Her company is called Full Plate Graphic Design.  Kelly is a fantastic graphic designer.  She even designed the Maid Marian Made banner for my blog.  Thanks, Kelly! 

1 comment:

  1. Awww. What an amazing send off! I would rather you yell at me and kick me to the curb so it would be easier to leave. I'm so sad to go, but am soooo thankful for the nearly five years working with you and learning from the best! Talk with you soon!
    ~KT

    ReplyDelete