4.16.2010

Thrifty Thursday & A Maid Marian Transformation

At work we are having a Trash to Treasure contest in honor of Earth Day.  The object of the contest is to create a piece of artwork or something functional from items that would normally be throw into the trash.  Since I am on a home decorating kick, I decided to create something functional.  I started with an empty stick butter box and cereal box.  See here mid-project.



I trimmed the lid off the butter box. Spray painted the interior of the box with American Accents in Black (semi-gloss).  Then I wrapped the box in a leopard print fabric scrap using Spray Mount and my trusty hot glue gun.  The fabric was left over from a bench re-upholstery job a couple of years ago.  I used a scrap of black grosgrain ribbon, twine and buttons from the junk drawer to make the decorative accents.

With the cereal box, I removed the top of the box and cut the widest sides of the box on the diagonal to create a magazine holder.  Just like the butter box, I painted the interior of the box and wrapped it in the same leopard print fabric and ribbon. So for an investment of just my time, I have the beginnings of a nice office set.


I'm linking up at:


Photobucket




All Thingz Related

 

DIY Day @ ASPTL

11 comments:

  1. Cute and clever! Love the leopard print. I will so have to make these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No you didn't! That is way cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very clever girl. Your link caught my eye because my name is Marian as well. I don't run across many of them. Nice to meet you! :)

    How many times in your life have people sung "Maaaaaaa-rian, madame libraaaaaa-rian" everytime you entered a room?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now this is definitely trash to treasure! What a clever project and such a great way to utilize those old boxes. Thanks for linking up to Be Inspired this week - when you get a chance, please add a link back to the party. Thanks! Chelsea

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stylish, functional, and recycled...I LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!

    :) T

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! I love how this turned out. I think I will make something like this for my kitchen counter to hold my spare papers, mail, etc. I love that you turned this trash into treasures!!

    Alison
    http://oopsey-daisy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Love this! Just what my daughter needs to help organize the desk in her room...only in zebra LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very smart! They turned out great! Thanks for sharing @ Anything Related!
    ~Rebekah~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very clever...looks great!
    Susan
    http://entertainexchange.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super idea - So clever. I would have never guessed! They look fabulous! Thanks for linking to the Sunday Showcase! Hope you have a great week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete