9.27.2009

Oh, Georgia!

I recently watched Georgia O'Keeffe, a Lifetime original movie I DVRed the weekend we were in Alabama visiting family. Being a working mom and traveling a bit more than usual, it took me a while to get around to watching this biopic. I've always been a huge fan of Georgia O'Keeffe. She is by far my favorite artist, next to Monet.

After watching the movie, I remembered something I had thought about before and have found intriguing. I find it a bit coincidental that my life has taken me to several places that were of some importance in Georgia O'Keeffe's life.

First of all, I lived in Amarillo, Texas for a couple of years during middle school. Georgia taught in the public schools there from 1912-1914 and at West Texas State Normal College in Canyon in 1916.

I also lived in Columbia, SC for many years and had the opportunity to study at Columbia College where she once taught in 1915. Instead I chose to go to the University of South Carolina to pursue a degree in public relations management. I am still kicking myself for not pursuing my degree in studio art. Thinking I would starve for the rest of my life, I chose a more sensible career field that came with a regular paycheck.

I visited New York City many times while my mom lived there for nearly 20 years. I visited all the major art museums there several times to view Georgia's paintings over and over again.

In 2007 and 2008, I was enrolled at the University of Wisconsin in Madison for a six-week management program. I was excited to be so near Georgia O'Keeffe's birthplace in Sun Prairie, where she was born in 1898. I thought that the Chazen Art Museum would have a few of her paintings. I was disappointed to see only one. Come on people! One of the most prolific female artists of all time was born less than 20 miles away and you only have one painting of hers on display. What a letdown!

Once on vacation I visited O'Keeffe Country (Taos area) in New Mexico and understand her desire to live there. It's one of the most beautiful places in the country that I have had the opportunity to see. If you haven't been to the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum in Santa Fe, you need to. It is the only museum in the world dedicated to a woman artist. The museum has over 1,100 of her paintings, drawings and sculptures that are displayed on a rotating basis. You will always see something new each time you visit.

I have yet to visit Ghost Ranch, Abiquiu and Lake George, NY but I hope to one day. They are on my list of places to see.

Getting back to the movie. The movie itself was well done. Joan Allen gave a wonderful performance as Georgia O'Keeffe. I especially liked the scene where she paints the mural at Radio City Music Hall. And Jeremy Irons was brilliantly cruel as Alfred Stieglitz, O'Keeffe's husband. I recommend watching it. It will leave you with the urge to create! All I can say is...Oh, Georgia!

No comments:

Post a Comment