9.12.2009

Keep calm and carry on

Well, I've launched my blog. Now, I just have to "keep calm and carry on."

I've always considered myself a bit of a Francophile but now since my marrying my husband Robert whose grandmother is a Brit I am becoming more enamoured with all things British. Just this week, Aunt Dori, Robert's great aunt, is visiting us from Manchester, England. Aunt Dori's accent is as thick as lemon curd. It is fun to listen to her British accent but sometimes it's hard to understand her. And then on top of that, understanding the difference between American English and English English. Oh ve! For example, I'm a Southern girl who loves her homemade biscuits smothered in sausage gravy. I know they're bad for me but they taste so good ;) However, biscuits in England are what we call cookies here in America. Makes you think what would gravy-covered Oreos would taste like. Yuck-o!

At 70, Aunt Dori is a hoot! She and her friend Dave like to hang out at the pub every night and drink scotch and lemonade. For us Americans, lemonade in England is actually Sprite or 7-Up. Confusing I know. Aunt Dori learned that lesson when we all went out to dinner one night. Aunt Dori and Dave also like to karaoke and dance. They are pretty hip for their age and keep us Yanks in stitches. They have turned us on to a (2006) British pop tune by the Scissor Sisters, "I Don't Feel Like Dancing." I can't get enough of it.
Try it out. You WILL feel like dancing. Until next time...cheerio!


No comments:

Post a Comment