10.13.2009

Searching for Georgia

Detail of Self-Portrait Dedicated to Leo Trotsky by Frida Kahlo

I landed in DC yesterday for a business meeting. I had a few hours to kill so I thought I would go to the National Museum of Women in the Arts in hopes of seeing a previously-unseen-by-my-eyes Georgia O'Keeffe work. Sadly, the only work by her at NMWA is a charcoal drawing that was NOT on display today. Bummer! However, I did get to see a painting by Frida Kahlo titled Self-Portrait Dedicated to Leo Trotsky. My excursion wasn't a total loss. I read a wonderful quote from Georgia O'Keeffe, which has inspired me.

"One day seven years ago I found myself saying to myself, 'I can't live where I want to...I can't go where I want to go...I can't do what I want to...I can't even say what I want to...' I decided I was a very stupid fool not to at least paint as I wanted to." ~ Georgia O'Keeffe, 1923.

That's profound. I'm just saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment